• English Literature and Culture
• French Literature and Culture
• German Literature and Culture
• Italian Literature and Culture
• Literature in Society. Europe and Beyond
Reasons to choose Literary Studies at Leiden University:
• All courses are taught in the language of your specialisation.
• The Master’s programmes in English, French, German and Italian literature cover the entire range of these literatures, from medieval to early modern, modern and contemporary.
• You will benefit from courses given by experts in terms of the period (middle ages, early modern, modern, post-modern and post-colonial) but also in terms of rhetoric, semiotics, intermediality, inter-cultural history and other approaches current in Literary Studies.
• You will gain an understanding of the methodological approaches, which you will learn to use in researching and analysing source material for your papers and final thesis.
• You can use of the vast range of options to construct your personal programme. You may include a course in English, French, German or Italian linguistics. You may also include a course in the national Masterlanguage programme or go abroad to the country of your specialisation, for an internship or university courses.
A Master’s in Literary Studies (French, German or English) is the most direct way of qualifying for the Educational Master’s website (one year). If you are interested, check out the careerpages at the website of the specialisation of your choice.
Literature in Society. Europe and Beyond
From 2016-17, the Master’s in Literary Studies will offer a new specialisation: Literature in Society. Europe and Beyond. This one-year, English spoken programme focuses on the interaction between literature and key political and social issues such as identity, migration, memory and the metropolis, in a transnational and comparative perspective.
More information about career opportunities can be found on en.mastersinleiden.nl/programmes/literary-studies/en/introduction
contact person: International Studyline
phone.: 071 527 11 11